How to Claim Child Care Subsidy


  1. Centrelink online account and a CRN.
  2. A myGov account linked to Centrelink.

1. Centrelink online account and the CRN

You must have a Customer Reference Number (CRN) to:

  • set up your Centrelink online account through myGov, or
  • link your myGov account to Centrelink
    If you have received a Centrelink payment or service from Centrelink, you’ll have a CRN.

You may need to confirm your identity with Centrelink before you start your claim.  

2.You need a myGov account linked to Centrelink.

If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account, you’ll need to set them up.

You may need to confirm your identity with Centrelink before you start your claim. If you can’t claim online call Centrelink on the Families line.

You need your own email address to create a myGov account.  

3.Get your documents ready

You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim.

4.Make your claim  

  1. Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
  2. Select Make a claim, then Start a new claim.
  3. Under Families, select Get started.
  4. Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the claim. This includes how to submit your supporting documents.
  5. Submit your claim.
    For help, use our online guide to claim Child Care Subsidy  

4. Track your claim

After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:

  • that you’ve successfully submitted your claim
  • the ID number of your claim
  • an estimated completion date
  • a link to track its progress
    - You can track the progress of your claim online. Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink, or use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.
    - If you completed your claim but the enrolment details were missing, you need to take action. Ask your provider (Kookaburra EL) to submit these details to Centrelink so you can confirm them.
    - Centrelink will also let you know the result of your claim. Centrelink sends an assessment notice to you by one of the following:
  • myGov Inbox
  • Centrelink online account
  • Express Plus Centrelink mobile app
  • mail, if you don’t get electronic letters If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.